Bexar County Courthouse

This building has always been a beauty.  Completed in 1897, almost 115 years ago, it remains the largest and oldest continuously operating courthouse in Texas.  The architect was James Riely Gordon, who designed a number of Texas' beautiful courthouses.  The style is Richardsonian Romanesque revival, in pink granite and red sandstone.  S.A. has a few other buildings in this style, noteworthy for the heavy proportions (like big fat arches and columns) of the masonry.  A cool building all around.  My grandmother used to work here.

bexar county courthouse under dark south texas skies

Comments

  1. This is awesome. I love your style - all that hatching in the sky gives it life. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you sketch something do you start off by doing a pencil drawing? Your art is very beautiful!!! I wish you had a book out-I really have learned alot about shading and hatching by looking at your drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Grafx. On longer drawings like this I often do sketch them out in pencil first-- just a rough outline so I have an idea where to draw with the pen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'adore the way you draw. Art is the same word in french and your Art is universel and beautiful. Merci Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing blog! Thank you for sharing your drawings!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful drawing, Paul. You architectural drawings are some of the best I've seen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I Draw Spherical Panoramas

A brief history of how I started to "curve" my sketches

Dinosaurs of the recent past