58 posts and all I got was a trip to Portland!

portland skyline

Hi All! I'm back from Portland, where I went with Linda for her book tour to support Crochet Adorned (and if you haven't at least visited her blog yet you're off my Christmas list). We stayed with Linda's super-crafty (and amazingly hospitable) friend Susan Beal, her husband Andrew Dickson and their super-cute daughter Pearl. We both had a great time. Linda did a book-signing at the world-famous Powell's City of Books and at a local yarn shop, made a tv appearance on AM Northwest, and the rest of the time we got to enjoy Portland. Susan and Andrew introduced us to some amazing food and cool things to see.

So, on with the post:

We did the drive there in one day, stopping for lunch at the Milk Bottle in Spokane, Washington.
P8113960

I even did a brief sketch as Linda and I enjoyed our (ok, my) new favorite peanut-butter milkshake.
table at the milk bottle
You will, of course, remember that Spokane is the birthplace of my father (assuming you're clairvoyant, as I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned it). We also stayed there on the way back, so I'll put all the Spokane parts together for you:
spokane as seen from the highway travelling east

downtown spokane, washington

downtown spokane, washington

downtown spokane, washington

After another long drive we arrived in Portland at Susan's house and passed out. The next morning we found ourslelves at Detour Cafe, then the International Rose Test Gardens.

detour cafe

at the international rose test gardens

at the international rose test gardens

The next few days included doing too much cool stuff for me to describe it in detail, so I'll just put up some photos and sketches.

3rd and yamhill

at the international rose test gardens

mississippi and shaver

at the little blue waffle wagon

ne alberta 02

pearl at Susan and Andrew's house

susan and andrew's living room 01

portland, oregon scenes

pine state biscuits

portland, oregon scenes

ne alberta 01

portland, oregon scenes

washington and broadway

portland, oregon scenes

thai peacock

portland, oregon scenes

susan and andrew's living room 02

portland, oregon scenes

hawthorne and 14th

portland, oregon scenes

pastini, division st

portland, oregon scenes

pioneer square

portland, oregon scenes

On the way back, we drove along the scenic historic Columbia River Gorge Highway, lunched in the Dalles and stopped in Spokane for the night. The next day we strolled around Missoula, MT for a bit, stretched our legs in Phillipsburg and arrive home none the worse for wear but with a lot of catching up to do in the real world.

masonic lodge building

Columbia River Gorge from Chanticleer Point

chili's, spokane, wa

downtown phillipsburg, montana

biga pizza

Comments

  1. These photos are great. I especially like the 2nd to the last one. Amy P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, Though I live in Bozeman, my roots are in Portland. I know these locations and love your sketches.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I Draw Spherical Panoramas

A brief history of how I started to "curve" my sketches

Dinosaurs of the recent past